Mental Health –Help Guide
Suicide prevention toolkit for communities
Communities have an important role to play in suicide prevention. They can provide support to people who are vulnerable and to those who have made an attempt on their life. They can provide comfort to people who have lost someone to suicide and can also help fight stigma.WHO’s Preventing suicide: a community engagement toolkit, released today, is a step-by-step guide for people who would like to initiate suicide prevention activities in their community.
Mental Health Meter
Assessing our mental health is not as simple to do as measuring our physical health. There are no scales or endurance tests that rate mental fitness. However, with the help of the Canadian Mental Health Association’s Mental Health Meter,(https://cmha.ca/mental-health-meter#.VWDcAZRlUUM) you can reflect on your unique strengths and identify areas where your level of mental fitness could be improved.
Mental Health Resources related to caring for your mental health:
Taking Care of your physical needs:
The following websites offer a variety of free online fitness programs you can do in your home:
- The YMCA (https://ymca360.org/zipcodes/new) is offering free classes including bootcamp, barre, yoga, and more.
- Fitness Blender (https://www.fitnessblender.com/) features more than 600 workouts. You can filter by length, difficulty, training type, calories burned, and muscle group.
Mental Health Continuum Model and Actions to take at each phase of the continuum:
The Working Mind Mental Health Continuum Model categorizes mental health along a continuum using the following colours:
- Green (healthy)
- Yellow (reacting)
- Orange (injured)
- Red (ill)
The purpose of the continuum:
- It allows individuals to identify indicators of declining or poor mental health in themselves and others (without diagnostic labels and their associated stigma).
- It stresses that individuals can move along the continuum. For example, if one ends up in the red (ill) phase, they’re still able to move back towards the green (healthy) phase.
- It teaches appropriate actions one can take for themselves and for others at each point along the continuum.