Why Christmas Cheer?
It’s a great time of the year to share our blessings with others. Our volunteers last year are excited to continue to expand the program, recognizing that these baskets give an authentic way to reach out to the needs of others in our community at this very special time of the year.
Sponsor and Build a Blessing Basket!
We encourage you to work as a team (lifegroup, work colleagues, families) to create a unique, special basket for your sponsored family.
Step 1: Pray and reflect on the family information you are given. Create a shopping list and budget for your items to be purchased.
Step 2: Select a container to hold the items. Strong handles are a great idea – consider a hamper or sturdy box. Feel free to dress it up with some wrapping paper and festive tissue as a start.
Step 3: Fill your container with the items and record them in the appropriate section on the Basket Summary Sheet. GIFT ITEMS are to remain unwrapped (gift bags are fine). GIFT CARDS are to be placed in the smaller envelope provided. It is helpful if the dollar value of the gift card is indicated either on the card itself or on the cardboard cover. If you are not including any gift cards, please record 0 in that section. Be sure that your Family Reference # is clearly visible on your basket—use the tags provided.
Step 4: Complete the “sponsored by section” and the “total section” of the Basket Summary Sheet. Place the Basket Summary Sheet, the small gift card envelope, your Family Report, and any unused tags back into the Sponsor Package.
Step 5: Return your Sponsor Package and gift basket to a member of the Christmas Cheer team either on November 17 or November 24 in the church foyer or email us at [email protected] to arrange an alternate time.
Gifts for the Family
- movie passes
- dinner out
- gift cards to grocery stores
- special Christmas treats (e.g., nuts, chocolates)
- pass to experiences (e.g., Science Centre, Reptilia)
- cookies (homemade or purchased)
- transportation: Presto cards, gas cards (No Frills, Walmart)
- crackers, non-refrigerated items, jams, popcorn
- ground coffee, hot chocolate, mugs, teas, non-alcoholic wine
Gifts for Individuals
Male: scarf, gloves, hat
Female: infinity scarves, gloves, hat, towel sets, hand soaps, toiletries
Teenagers: gift cards to Shopper’s Drug Mart, movies, or mall gift certificates
Young Children/Toddlers: pyjamas, slippers, toys, crafts, school Items *Consider getting gift receipts in case the items need to be returned for any reason.
Toys must be new and unwrapped and age appropriate. If batteries are required, please make sure these are included as well.
Please do NOT include: used items, electronic games, highly scented items such as candles or perfumes, alcoholic beverages, lottery tickets, toys such as guns or swords.
OTHER WAYS TO BE INVOLVED:
Financial support — if you can’t sponsor an entire family…
- Your donation of more than $25 in an offering envelope marked “Christmas Cheer” is tax deductible. If you wish to use Pushpay, text “Christmas Cheer 2019” to 77977. *Note that a 2.5% service charge applies to Pushpay donations.
- Donate gift cards for items such as groceries, clothing or transportation, or family activities such as movies and meals out. Please note that multiple gift cards in $25 denominations are preferred over larger amounts.
- Donate new, unwrapped toys, household items or groceries on our Christmas Cheer drop off weekends (November 17 & 24).
Volunteer your time to be on the Christmas Cheer team
- Bring your family to participate as we as a church family come together to “Wrap up the Cheer” on December 7. Details will follow closer to the day!
- Deliver the baskets to the recipients starting December 7.